Tuesday 7 July 2009

What's next Saudi Arabia!!



My 7 years old and 3 years old neices haven't gone to any fairs since their mom delivered their new baby girl. They were getting bored staying home all the time so, I offered to take them to a fair to play. My 15 years old sister accompanied us.

We had dinner and then headed to buy the tickets. I left the choice to my neices to choose whatever games they want to play with. I was going to hand the Indian guy who is resposible about the game they chose the tickets when he started murmuring and pantomiming.

I couldn't figure out what he was talking about. Later, I understood that my 15 years old sister is not allowed to ride the rollercoster because she is "old". I was getting angry because my sister got shocked and was almost crying! He told me that it's the order of "Muttawa" aka "The Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice". He was drawing a beard with his hand to explain it clearly to me that the umttawa has come and told him and some of his colleagues that if any females are seen riding the hollercoster or whatever game it is, they will shut down the business and cause their unemployment!

He was pointing with his finger that the muttawa is somehwere there observing. I stood there for 30 minutes waiting to have a talk with him but he never showed up!! I was going to cause a scene and I didn't care about whatever might happen there!

My sister is just a kid! Whoever female who wants to ride whatever has the ultimate right to do so!! I haven't read about any rules or regulations prohibiting it!! Just thinking about it is stupid because it is merely stupid!!

What's next Saudi Arabia!

P.S. Hope you will like my new background. A sweet blogger emailed me telling me that I am enveloped in blackness. To prove him wrong, here you go :D

19 comments:

Dreamer;* said...

thank god I live in Kuwait;p
and goodluck with that:P

Why not said...

jsssss so extreme, can't understand that either!!

Faith said...

That is just ridiculous! ugh how infuriating!

Standy said...

This is beyond ridiculous,, this is absurd!!

Raiomi :) said...

hi..

Sure she has the right to almost cry..cause this is ridiclous..and this what causes many to misunderstand Islam..

Islam has never sit such a rule and the prophet peace be upon him himself allowed his wives to play and race too..

But this misunderstnad of Islam's rule make such (Men) to regulate such activities..However , we must be better than them and try to explain to them and discuss this with them

anyway, best of luck with them next time :)

about your new template..Umm..yeah blackness is gloomy..but this new one is not you too :)....Just an opinion

Best regard !!

Anonymous said...

el7emdella I am in a better place...such stories are scary!!

Anonymous said...

KSA!! For god sake you are in Eastern province, isn't it suppose to be more open minded? That is stupid!

Euphoria said...

This background is way better ;)

CoDeR said...

well .... to tell you the truth .... I hate it when grown women get's to ride a rollercoaster :) or any high end ride of the like .... God they shout .... every single one shouts like there lives depended on it looooool ... and soon it becomes a contagious thing ... I think the shouting is part of the fun for them :). ....

any way ..... back to the point .... so simple if you were accompanied by a brother of yours no body would have said a word and specially the Motawwas ...but here is another problem for you ... I know..... why do I need a brother for a 15 years old girl to ride a rollercoaster ??!.... sorry ... I have no answer to that :)

CoDeR said...

hey hey hey ..... just noticed the words about the theme in the post ....

well I LOVE this theme ... it might not be you as someone mentioned .... but I've known you enough to tell that ..... BLACK definitely isn't you ....

cheer up .... you deserve it :)

Hijabis On Ranting Tour. said...

ive literally given up all hope of ever defending saudi arabia
it too hopeless and embarassing wallah
salaamz
naz

Maqsood Qureshi said...

Two soul-searching posts -- in a row. Moral policing? Religion is something subjective and personal. Must never be thrust, imposed. Freedom is everything. Fundamental rights. Migrate to any democratic country. Simple. :-)

Souma said...

what is sad and embarrassing is that we never do anything about all this! we should!! i'm not talking about an upheaval, i just would like to have the option to do whatever i want whenever i want to.

♥ Braja said...

Ah, Ms Sweetheart :) Am finally I'm able to comment after 3 wks of not being able to!

Actually now that I think of it, there are many who won't be happy about that....
:)

Rimyoleta said...

OMG! that's bad...I feel so bad for her...
and yeah loove the new background

His Sweetheart said...

Dreamer
If I wasn't living in Saudi, I wouldn't have met the great people I know :)

Puca
Me too!

Faith
It is depressing!

Standy
I know!

Rema
You're right!


Amu
What is scary about it!!


C
:(

Euphoria
Thanks :)

His Sweetheart said...

Coder
Some girls are just stupid and stupidity can never be treated! But still, it's a right for all! LOL, I know, I didn't like it that much but change is healthy :P

Naz
I feel for ya!

Maqsood
I would immigrate but with who :D?

Souma
You're absolutely right!

Barja
Glad you could. Feel free to express whatever you want sweetie :)

Rimyoleta
:D

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to my little sister on the very same day! lol

WhiteOrchid said...

r u serious?? i was allowed to go on a rollercoaster the last time I visited one of these parks